Jean publishes a blog called the Enterprise Corner. It features articles on entrepreneurship, local industry trends, manufacturing news and periodic ‘toolbox’ articles showcasing assistance, incentives and other resources for local businesses.
The Enterprise Challenge is right in the heat of the competition! We have just completed the opening round and are into the 'Sweet 16'. There are now 16 entrepreneurs vying for the cash prizes in our business plan contest. I have been getting to know the contestants and have been very impressed with their hard work and effort thus far. There's a very broad mix of entrepreneurs, experience levels and businesses, which is adding a lot to the competition. Some of the entrepreneurs have started networking and learning from each other and taking advantage of the business counseling opportunities available. The contestants have had their business plan summaries scored by the first round of judges. and now have a week to make any revisions to prepare for the Investment Round Trade Show. The Investment Round will be set up as a trade show event, with approximately 30 judges that have $1,000 'Investment (play) Bucks' to invest in a minimum of five companies; the top eight 'money' winners will move on to the next round of the competition. This event is NOT open to the public.
Here's a snapshot of the participants that have advanced to the next round.
Some businesses are still in the planning stages, so they may not be ready to launch their official name yet, and others have websites and storefronts that you can visit for more information!
1. K-5 Contracting, General Contractor.
2. Bristol Media, BusyBee Magazine. Niche Publishing.
3. Creme’. French inspired patisserie.
4. Magic & Mind Games, Performance Magician.
5. IQ Tax Center. Tax services, IRS Audit solutions, bookkeeping services.
6. Lower Valley Therapeutic Massage & Spa. Massage and other spa services in Grandview.
7. Don Mills. Algae International
8. PartyNPlay. Family friendly coffee shop and bakery.
9. Resource Recovery Group, Milt’s BBQ Gourmet Pellets. Flavored BBQ Pellets.
10. Serenity Falls Landscaping and water features.
11. Surya Yoga. Yoga for All.
12. TBA Brewing Company. Craft Brewing company in downtown Yakima.
13. VanKommer Industrial Design. Engineering and design services.
14. Washington Vision Therapy Services.
15. Yakima Food Cooperative.
16. Yakima Press Company. Vintage wine and cider press manufacturing.